Plants that are poisonous to cats!!


The sight of new spring flowers is a welcome sight after the dreary winter. When you take your dog for a walk it’s wonderful to pass by their nodding heads and see vibrant new life in your garden, but you need to exercise caution where pets are concerned. Many of the flowers blooming at this time of year can be dangerous to dogs and cats, sometimes with fatal results.

pale yellow

The beautiful flowers may look nice but they belong to the Liliaceous family, which is highly poisonous to cats. This simple flower can be poisonous if the bulb is eaten, just 15 grams is enough to kill a dog. The flower heads and leaves can also be dangerous if consumed.


Many lilies are highly poisonous to cats, including Easter lilies, lilies of the valley, tiger lilies, and other members of the Liliaceae family. All parts of the plant can prove fatal if ingested by cats, even if they lick any pollen from their fur. Lily affects the kidneys and if not treated timely, leads to kidney failure. Early symptoms also include vomiting, loss of appetite, and lethargy, which become worse as the toxic substance progresses. Assistance must be immediate to ensure the best chance of survival.


Another member of the Liliaceous family, the toxins contained within tulip bulbs, tulipanin A and tulipanin B, can also be toxic to dogs, cats and horses if consumed. Your pet may vomit, have diarrheal, have a loss of appetite and have a rapid heart rate. Seizures and difficulty breathing are some extreme reactions, but there are more.


All parts of the bluebell also pose a danger to dogs and can be fatal in large amounts. Depending on the quantity consumed, heart function may be affected. Diarrheal, vomiting, and stomach problems are also possible side effects.

Scroll to Top